Proverbs 1:8 "Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching"

Sunday, August 21, 2011

HOMEMADE (YES REALLY!!) MICROWAVE POPCORN

Our family LOVES popcorn. "REAL" popcorn is made on the stove, in a pan, with lots of butter and salt :) But when you don't have the time (or if you're like me and don't have a good popcorn pan) it's always nice to have microwave popcorn on hand. The problem for me is 1) it's costs a lot when you look at the ingredients and 2) I HATE that oily coating in your mouth from all that artificial stuff. Plus all the butter on "real" popcorn, and all the artificial and unhealthy ingredients in most microwave popcorn just leaves me feeling guilty and sometimes with an upset stomach afterwards.

Then, one day I saw on Food Network's show "Good Eats" that you could very easily make your own microwave popcorn at home. Alton Brown, the host, discusses it here [I left out the jalapeno seasoning, but add your own- experiment!] It's quick and easy and cheap!

Ingredients:
1 lunch size brown paper bag
1 paper plate (or other microwavable plate, but I find paper works best)
1/4 c yellow popcorn kernels (white work ok, but aren't as big and fluffy as yellow)
2 Tbs olive/canola oil
salt (or seasoning of your choice, I love Lawry's seasoning salt)
stapler [yes, trust me, it will be fine!!]

Recipe:
1. Place popcorn into the bag, add oil, shake slightly to coat.
2. Add in your seasoning- more than you would expect as a lot will stick to the bag- and shake again slightly to distribute salt/seasoning. [Adding your seasoning now will make it stick to the popcorn during cooking as afterwards your popcorn will be too dry for seasoning to stick. Yes, you could add butter if you want, but I like that this is healthier!!]
3. Fold over the top of the bag 1" and staple twice.
4. Place bag on the paper plate (I lay the bag on it's side) and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Mine is done in 2, but just like all microwaves will vary, just listen for the popping to slow down but not to stop completely.
5. Open CAREFULLY!! It will be very hot and steamy!
6. Pour into a bowl and enjoy!

Once you try this recipe, I don't see how you can go back to store-bought microwave popcorn again!! And this recipe leaves lots of room for experimenting with flavors. You could even use all organic ingredients. If you are like our family, movie night will take multiple bags ♥

I dare you to try it!! Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment